Wonder Woman: Martial Arts & Manicure Party

From the day Evie was born, she has been in awe of Wonder Woman. She was thrilled to see Wonder Woman on the silver screen in DC’s Dawn of Justice. So for her 10th birthday, we based her party on this version of this fabulous female.



Party Summary

Theme: Wonder Woman - Martial Arts & Manicures
Location: LifeTime Fitness
Food: Pizza, Juice, and Cupcakes
Guests: 29 Tween Girls
Favors: Superhero Yarn Doll Keychains


The Location: LifeTime Fitness

I prefer not to host parties at my home. We have a family membership at LifeTime Fitness and took advantage of their party package. The general package includes the party space, activities for 2-3 hours and pizza. We brought juice/water and cupcakes. The event staff was a breeze to work with. Very attentive and full of great ideas.

They have a party room, but the size of our guest list moved us to a reserved area in the main gym. It was perfect! Lots of room for the girls to run around and play, while waiting for the party to get started. We also were “contained.” The martial arts class and food were served in the gym, so we did not have to gather everyone up and move about the facility. It was very convenient.


The Theme: Martial Arts & Manicures

I love keeping kids active, so instead of traditional party games, we hired a martial arts master to give the Wonder Woman Warrior Princesses a 1-hour martial arts lesson. We ended the party with manicures. (Well actually, it was more of a polish change.) I gave a guest list to our event coordinator, and each girl was called in by name, giving it more of a spa-like experience.

The Invite:

The paper invite is a vellum sheet overlay, glued onto the Wonder Woman uniform image that I purchased on Etsy.

I added a cutout of her silver "crown" to give the invite some dimension. I downloaded the Wonder Woman image from Google and glued the Wonder Woman logo (also from Esty) onto it to create an inviting wrap.

The invite looks super cute with our without the wrap. This invite was created for personal use only. I would gladly create something similar if you are interested.

The Fun: Martial Arts Training & Manicures

Master Kwon got the girls up and moving during the one-hour martial arts lesson. He demonstrated roundhouse kicks, and other martial arts moves. Then it was the girls’ turn to give it a try. There were lots of laughing and smiles. Evie’s friends are quite athletic, so it was a perfect choice!



We ended the party with manicures. (Well actually, it was more of a polish change.) I gave a guest list to our event coordinator, and each girl was called in by name, giving it more of a spa-like experience. The girls played games, like telephone and duck-duck-goose while waiting for their turn.

Food:

The party package included pizza or food from LifeTime’s cafĂ© menu. They have options for vegetarians, vegans, and others with food allergies, like gluten. We opted for pizza.

We ordered custom cupcakes from Orland Bakery.  I find cupcakes to be easier and less messy than a cake. The bakery was fantastic. I gave them some images I found on Pinterest, and they did the rest. The stars are icing, not fondant. I found the rings on Amazon.

Decorations/ Photo Booth:

I didn't have much luck finding Wonder Woman party decor, so I improvised and went with patriotic colors: red, white and blue with yellow/gold accents. I kept decorations very simple since we were in a large gym. I ordered one bouquet of mylar star balloons as the centerpiece and added in some foil star cutouts and other paper star decorations. 

What's a party without selfies? Tween girls LOVE their phones, so I added a simple little superhero-themed photo booth. Oriental Trading is my go-to for party decorations.

Tableware: 

At my local party store, I found stars & stripes plates and tablecloths. I used red plastic cups and embellished with superhero action bubble stickers found on Oriental Trading. For a pop of color, I added yellow napkins and serve ware.

Favors:

Favors remind guests of great parties. So, I like to give items they can keep and show off. This party, we bought Superhero Yarn Doll keychains. (Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Aquaman, Robin, Green Lantern & Joker).

The girls each received a small treat bag (Dollar Tree) with the keychain, bracelet and chocolate lips. All were found on Amazon. They were a big hit.

Party Tips:

This party could very easily be held at a rec center or your own backyard.
You could easily swap games or an obstacle course if martial arts isn’t an option.
To save money, ask some adults to stay or come early to help paint the girls’ nails.
Schedule the manicures for the end of the event. The girls had a manicure and went home. No time to mess up their nails!
Nail Polish is another option for favors. Or a manicure/pedicure kit.

If you have any questions or would like ordering/pricing information, feel free to contact me.

Comments